Buying a jewelry safe isn’t an everyday venture. Safes are costly, and choosing the right one for your business usually requires niche expertise, so your decisions surrounding the purchase are important. Consider these factors—and consult with your insurance agent—before you make a decision.
Increasing inventory levels
- What is your current inventory level and what is it valued at?
- What values do you foresee your inventory rising to in 3-5 years?
- Will the safe protect the amount of peak inventory values you carry during the holidays?
- What type of inventory do you carry?
- What is the cubic storage capacity of the safe?
- Is the inside constructed with adjustable and removable shelving?
Desired level of protection
- What is the safe’s UL rating?
- How thick is the body of the safe?
- How many sides have “Safe Complete” alarm protection?
- Are the locks on the safe also UL-listed?
- Does your insurance policy require a percent in-safe or amount left out-of-safe overnight?
Layout of Your Business
- What are the outside dimensions of the safe?
- Where will the safe be located and how will it be positioned?
- Are there common walls that could expose sides of the safe?
- Is your rooftop secured?
- How much does the safe weigh?
- How will the safe be delivered and who will set it up?
Because buying a safe isn’t a regular purchase jewelry businesses make, it’s important to consider your entire security plan. Upgrading your physical or electronic security will usually present a sizable investment, and there might be other areas of your security that need more attention than your safe.
See Jewelers Mutual’s comprehensive Jeweler Security Guide here.
Follow the Zing Report on Instagram and Facebook